What are you seeking from your site, and a content management system?
- Write a series of short-form writing
- Invite others to comment and discuss writing
- Collaborative writing, without needing much design
- Create non-linear paths for reading long-form narrative
- Publish collections with standards-based metadata (out-of-the-box)
- Publish cultural heritage collections from indigenous communities
- Create narratives based on digital items
- Omeka, Omeka.net, Scalar
- Create and publish visualizations
- Mapping items, and creating custom maps for narratives
- Collecting from online audiences
- Omeka, Omeka.net, Google Online Form (text-based)
- Publish a large amount and many types of content, including a blog, and collections, and customized applications, (like a museum might)
Do you need a CMS?
- How much content are you producing, and in what format? Something simple like Github pages might work.
What are your technical infrastructure needs for this project?
- Do you need web hosting? (Try Reclaim: https://reclaimhosting.com/)
- Will you need direct server access?
- Who will be responsible for setting up and maintaining the project?
- Does this project require preservation or is it meant to be more ephemeral?
- Look for themes that are responsive so your site works on many platforms
- Check to make sure that you’re design/build is accessible: http://wave.webaim.org/