Instructors: Sheila Brennan, Sharon Leon, and Guest Instructor Denise Meringolo
- Selections from Adair, Bill, Benjamin Filene, and Laura Koloski, eds. Letting Go?: Sharing Historical Authority in a User-Generated World. Philadelphia: The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, 2011. (selections unavailable due to request from co-editors)
- Dougherty, Jack, and Kristen Nawrotzki. “Part 2: Wisdom of the Crowd.” In Writing History in the Digital Age, 2012. http://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/dh/12230987.0001.001/1:5/–writing-history-in-the-digital-age?g=dculture;rgn=div1;view=fulltext;xc=1.
- Omeka. Omeka Contribution Screencast, 2016. https://vimeo.com/165200216.
- Romeo, Fiona, and Lucinda Blaser. “Bringing Citizen Scientists and Historians Together,” 2011. http://www.museumsandtheweb.com/mw2011/papers/bringing_citizen_scientists_and_historians_tog.
- Discuss readings
- Digital Methods: Collaboration and community sourcing of scholarly work
- Coming to digital work as a public historian
- Hands-on Session: Digital Public History websites –What is Digital Public History?
- Discuss Digital Public History Projects:
Group 1: Larry, Kerry, Bethany, Aaron
Group 2: Marybeth, Joe, Sarah, Paul
Group 3: Judy R. Alvis, Alan, Anne
Group 4: Kristen, Michael, Liz, Ely
Group 5: Tammy, Jess, Tom, Judy G.
Group 6: Robin, Johann, Steve, Jonathan
- Identifying best practices
- Identify the target audience for the project
- Evaluate the project’s perspective on authority and community
- How would you deepen the engagement with this material?
- Hands-on Session: Planning a digital public history project, http://history2016.doingdh.org/week-2-tuesday/planning-a-digital-public-history-project/
- Case study: Baltimore Uprising and Histories of the National Mall
- Hands-on Session: Platforms for creating crowd sourced projects
- Hands-on Session: Install Contribution and Guest User plugins
- Hands-on Session: Plan in small groups for your own community-based activity or project
- To schedule a help session with the graduate assistants, fill out this form: http://goo.gl/forms/mXd9LJ58wT7J3oyK2
- Sign up for project consultations with Sharon or Sheila: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ForAi_Q4tMUWcosHeNaXyb4ZR_-SLcWK69AlPFXjcMw/edit?usp=sharing
- Identify cultural heritage institutions for possible collaborations and digital public history project.
- Download Audacity http://www.audacityteam.org/